In Defense of the Dallas Police

by , Jun 27, 2006 | 11:15 pm

“Dallas Attorney” posts an interesting piece of non-binding legal advice in his comment about the 80-or-so Dallas pokerers who now face legal ramifications for playing the game. I totally agree — and encourage all to plea not-guilty and insist on a jury trial — but:

Do what your paid for, protect the citizens of Dallas.

I don’t think that’s necessarily fair to the DPD. When the Pinnacle got robbed, Dallas police were alerted to the potential for violence around all the money in a Dallas poker game. So they start nosing around and — shocked at how easy it is to infiltrate — see that it’s not just a bunch of grizzled thugs playing in a dark room. Instead, you have upwards of 100 people — regular working folks, men and women, all races, fat and thin, parents with children … clearly, not your criminal sort.

And yet day after day, all around town, these nice poker people gather en masse to play this great social game that doesn’t really cost them much money but gives them a chance to win a relative ton, while catching the occasional adrenaline rush. Fun!

And ripe for an armed robbery … you know how easy it is for a violent crime (particularly one that starts on the internet) to go awry. DPD has raided only one game. And it just so happened to be one of the biggest, most open, easiest to get into … in a terrible part of town, no less …

If the cops didn’t bust in with their guns a-blazin’ to scare the piss out of 8 tables of poker players and leave with $40,000 … really, in retrospect, wasn’t it only a matter of time before someone else did?

14 Comments to “In Defense of the Dallas Police”

1. alicia

Yes…. but PLATINUM has closed. i cried a tear… when are they going to re-open to wipe it dry?????

Time will tell, Alicia. Remember when the Rounder Club moved to Platinum? Quite a few people then thought Platinum could never replace Django.

Environments can change, but peopler remain fundamentally the same.

3. Scott

What exactly made that a “terrible part of town”? There was no crime (no drugs, gangs, guns, streetwalkers, muggings, etc.) anywhere around. none.

hell, the “homeless” dude who stays in the bus sometimes is infinitely more polite than the guys who hit me up for change everyday on the way in to my local starbucks (lakewood). and the bus dude never hit me up for money–only cigarettes or matches

4. Dale

Does anyone have a name of an attorney that could help with the citation received at the raid by the idiotd at the police department? When you look at the citation it lists a fine of $145.00, but when you call the city they tell you the fine is really $160.00. It seems like the jackasses that run the city have no clue what the hell they are doing.

Thanks, Dale

5. Scott

So, “Pokerati had never been to Aces and never knew where they were,” yet Pokerati has no problem stating that ACES is in “a terrible part of town”? I’m still wondering what, precisely, qualifies the area as a “terrible part of town.”

_______________________________________
    “DanM Says:
    June 27th, 2006 at 12:14 pm
    Scott, while I have long wondered why the cops didn’t just use Pokerati as a Google map, Pokerati had never been to Aces and never knew where they were … and thus we almost never talked about them.

All we knew is that we didn’t like their tournament structure (1,500 starting chips?) nor the spammy nature of their solicitations.”

Scott — very fair. While I have never been to Aces, I have been to its part of town. And it wasn’t the best, but it was hardly the worst.

I based that phrasing on the overwhelming consensus I heard from other players. But I forgot that most of those players — my friends, I am talking about here — are pussies. Still, sloppy writing by me. My apologies. May or may not happen again.

How’s “poorly lit” in place of “dangerous” — does that make you feel better?

>>>There was no crime (no drugs, gangs, guns, streetwalkers, muggings, etc.) anywhere around. none.<<< With all due respect, Scotty, the Dallas Police would disagree.

8. George

The real problem was a lot of the rooms just became too brave. I mean they had websites !!!! Sending emails, cell phone alerts etc. An underground game is supposed to be “underground”. They were running the businesses like they were IBM. Just too much greed and blindness.

9. Scott

Thanks for addressing it Dan, and interesting map–I had never seen that before. However, I think the map below, which is centered on the actual location of ACES, is much more representative of the crime (or lack thereof) in that particular area.
    _______________________________________________

10. Aces

It is visually clear that we cleaned up the area if you compare the map with 2005 and 2004. 😉

11. Aces

12. lavigne

Dale,

shoot me an email. info@texaspokerpac.com

13. Chris Rebuy

Anyone who needs an attorney should shoot me an e-mail at c_rebuy@yahoo.com – I have the contact info for the gaming expert attorney that was able to get the charges in the first McKinney bust dismissed completely because of search/seisure violations.

14. Bill

Since one can no longer play poker on-line for real money, one has to expect that the Poker Rooms will increase in numbers and go furhter under ground and the crime element will gain in strength….

When will our politicians Wake Up & Smell the Roses? The State of Texas as well as the other States that currently do not have legalized gambling/poker, need to get their Act together and Legalize it and regulate it….

Not only will it make it safer, but the State can make some money on this as well….