Sh*t hitting fan (?) in Dallas Underground

by , Jun 24, 2006 | 9:55 pm

Aces just got busted. Cops came in with a swat team and TV news crews. All players ticketed (except for those who didn’t listen to the cops who said, “Don’t move,” and got up from the table). Dealers arrested. Also heard but unconfirmed: two other Dallas rooms got busted, too.

When the Rounder Club got “caught on tape” last week, I mentioned to a few folks that we would find out the ramifications within the next two weeks. They didn’t talk to a Dallas cop on that Channel 8 report. That meant one of two things: 1) Dallas really doesn’t care about underground poker; or 2) They’ve got something big (and bad) planned … and if that’s the case, it’s too late for any of us to stop it.

NOTE: If you happen to be in a room that is getting busted, please get those cell-phone cameras snapping and email to Pokerati. When the cops think it is a gun you are pointing at them and shoot you, then poker will really have a case … as a jury would have a hard time convicting you of a poker misdemeanor if you already had to take a bullet for it.

14 Comments to “Sh*t hitting fan (?) in Dallas Underground”

1. david

the players ticket is $150 and if they get a 2nd one i understand it’s more than a ticket..i guess everyone is going to drive north to paly which sucks big time…

2. Steve G.

I was there and recognized one of the vice cops and the head of vice as well. THEY WERE BOTH POKER REGULARS AROUND TOWN! So rest assured, they have infiltrated many other rooms. I think Dallas poker is done. They said they were coming after all of the other rooms.

Also, the A&E film crew was there filming for the Dallas Swat show. Winstar is paying for this…I guarantee it. I am done with underground poker. Having a machine gun pointed at me once was enough.

3. Tim B.

Dallas poker isnt “done” any more than prostitution is done after they raid a bunch of bukkake-tan salons, or methamphetamine is done after busting a bunch of labs… it just moves around and gets more careful…

if the poker raid situation turns out to be anything like my prior (hypothetical) drug-related experience, what will happen is there will be several “waves” of busts and arrests as the folks popped in each previous wave cuts deals and rolls over on other rooms, with each wave getting progressively smaller… the smarter operators have already loaded all their gear up in trucks and exited stage left, and several raids will kick down the doors on empty buildings… a certain percentage of operators will slip through the cracks, lay low for a bit, then set up shop again, wiser and more cautious than before… its a kind of darwinism, really 🙂 if nothing else, folks have figured out that daily spamming is probably not the best survival strategy.

the end result being, after a few bone-dry months, the scene will re-emerge, and probably be SAFER than it was before, although definitely more selective… rest assured, wherever theres an economic niche to be filled, there *will* be people to fill it, and poker in dallas is a big, tasty niche indeed.

oh and, one other thing… often when there is a big culling of the herd as far as drug activity goes, organized crime (not necessarily the “mob”, just more organized than the riff-raff that got shook down, which wouldnt take much for the poker scene) is right there ready to fill that niche. so dont be so sure its winstar behind all this… im not saying it isnt, just that there are others who could stand to gain from a shakeup like this…

4. Steve G.

I know a dealer at Winstar that told me that Winstar had given some huge $$$ to Dallas law enforcement to bust the rooms. He told me this about six months ago. He said they were taking their time on busting the rooms, but that they had infiltrated most of the rooms undercover. Who knows if it’s true, but it makes sense. I believe it. The reason I say Dallas poker is over is because this will immediately cut business WAAAYYY down for all of the rooms, and most of them will have to move. I’m just saying that if I owned a big room that had to be a next target (i.e. Platinum) , as an owner, I would take what money I had made and be done with it.

5. Tim B.

sure… for the next few months, business will be down. and i imagine, for a few months, business will be up at winstar and in shreveport. eventually, though, the folks who used to play locally will decide “this is bullshit, im sick of the drive, and the cost of gas is eating into my bankroll” and theyll seek out a local venue to play… and those venues WILL be there to accommodate them.

law enforcement doesnt have superpowers… they cant alter the fundamental market forces that drive the existence of the underground rooms. they could line up the folks they arrested on the steps of city hall and execute them by firing squad, and you know what? there would STILL be underground poker in dallas, and there would STILL be people to play it. the primary difference being, these folks would remember not to leave out the “underground” part.

6. lavigne

Join http://www.texaspokerpac.com if you are sick of having to break the law just to play poker.

7. Aces

Steve G. Says:
    June 24th, 2006 at 11:44 pm

Do you have any proof? I will Choctaw spam Dallas 8 days a week until they go out of business.

8. Marty R.

The absence of common sense and understanding of economics by the “good ole boy” network is astounding! We have Lotto and Bingo, which are purely games of chance, but we cannot play a game of poker which requires some skill?! And the great State of Texas would rather see our dollars go to the Native American nation or the re-building of Louisiana? The so-called “religious sect” needs to mind their own freakin’ business and allow people to do as they wish with their money. I guarantee, we’d have a better school system and our property taxes would be lowered. I’d be willing to bet half the DPD and Sheriff’s Depts. play poker at someone house at least once a month, if not at their own club. This makes no sense whatsoever and I’m going to write our illustrious Governor. If he wants to stay in office, he needs to listen.

9. Marty R.

10. Marty R.

11. Tim B.

you know, ive given this some thought, and i realize that in all honesty, i dont actually care where my money goes. i dont care if it goes to louisiana. i dont care if it goes to a native american tribe. i dont care if it goes to crazy wally’s dancing monkey extravaganza a-go-go.

i just want to PLAY.

preferably, without having to drive hundreds of miles, and without the possibility of getting a gun shoved in my face (from the law or some thugs, either one)… i dont care if it helps the schools. i dont care if it brings my property tax down. i dont care if it makes baby jesus cry. i just dont give a rats ass about any of the things people love to throw around when the issue of legalized gambling in texas comes up. hell, i dont even care if it gets legalized or not, im ok with a policy of non-enforcement.

and really, i wish everyone would stop acting so incensed over the money whenever the issue comes up, because its secondary to the REAL issue here: PERSONAL FREEDOM. screw the money. as the LA Times stated in their recent editorial regarding the criminalization of online poker in washington state: “Isn’t it a hallmark of a free society that we don’t outlaw otherwise inoffensive vices simply because some people harm themselves?” i am SICK and TIRED of being told i cant play poker WHEREVER i goddamn well please.

ok well, maybe not on the front lawn of an elementary school but… you know what i mean.

12. TheNdn

What were the bonds for the dealers and organizers to be released. Ultimately, it’s still just a misdemeanor is what I’m told?

13. Jason

I’m curious of the bonds also, and I thought it was a felony.. for them though hopefully its’ not. I wish I had the room, to start a “room” and make it no rake, which as I understand would be legal correct? I’m with you guys, I just want to play.

14. Jason

Well, to add to that, I play all the time online, but I love casino play from time to time, and especially loved the deepstack that we all got busted at. It was a true structured tournament that requires mostly skill, unlike the regular tournaments that even aces had.