Another Austin Raid

by , Feb 12, 2007 | 1:54 pm

So seriously … are the cops cracking down, or just doing some intensive research? A “home game” got raided in Austin on February 2. Lemme guess … “Operation Groundhog”?

6 Comments to “Another Austin Raid”

1. Neko the Poker Hound

Amazing still. These cities have the resources to raid aver game in town and waste time, effort, and money for Class C Misdemeanor tickets and cheap autions to sell off the “evidence” at the end…but the state still refuses to recognize that poker could be big business in Texas. I mean really how many hundreds of people have been arrested in Texas now? How many thousands of dollars is that? I would say it’s still EXPONETIALLY smaller than the tax benefits that the state would recieve from legalizing poker in the state. Screw full fledged gambling, I just want the cards!

2. Garthmeister J.

Mookie actually might have a lead on this, if 2 + 2 = 4 in this case: http://mookie99.bigopokerroom.com/?p=486 (the original post which mentioned the game was http://mookie99.bigopokerroom.com/?p=482)

I should also point out that the operation in question is apparently a bunch of morons and fully deserve what they got. They may as well have called the cops themselves.

3. Garthmeister J.

Uh, and when I meant “lead” I may have meant something completely different, except the same. Woo.

Thanks for the extra info, Garthy. And eesh, that sorta flyer is pretty bad. But Mookie posts something that is a reality we have to face:

“It has come to my attention that we have an element of illegal gambling happening in our neighborhood. This puts our children at risk and brings an unnecessary danger to us all. As we hear on the news, these places are frequently robbed, deal with illegal drugs, prostitution, and underage drinking.”

We all obviously know that her concerns are for the most part without merit — and legal poker is the real way to prevent the incursion of societal ills — but that’s the bottom line is that a lot of mom-types like her will see any and all discussions of gambling through this prism. Disturbing.

5. Neko the Poker Hound

I love how “undrage drinking” is an effect if poker, along with prostitution (the oldest profession, but obviously behind poker), as for drugs, I live in one of the richest cities in the world (Aspen, and not of my own power, my company sent me here) and there is more pot here than I have ever seen in my life in Dallas.

But back to the perils of poker and underage drinking. I say that we also ban high school football, high school band, high school in general, big towns where there is access, and small towns where there is nothing to do. All of these are causes of underage drinking as well. Hmmm, poker and high school. if I’d only been that smart as a kid.

6. Venita

And band camp, don’t forget band camp . . .