What’s in a Game?

by , Mar 13, 2007 | 2:56 am

I was just looking at the WSOP schedule and noticed they have a “2-7 triple draw lowball (limit) with rebuys” tournament for $1,000 this year. That seems kind of odd. Most everybody who plays this game is a high stakes player, meaning 200-400 and higher. Why would they have this be the lowest buy-in in the whole tournament? $1,000 to the players that play this game on a regular basis is not enough to entice them to play in this tournament even if it is their favorite game. In addition, it has rebuys — in a limit tournament? — horrible idea. Did they get this confused with 2-7 no-limit?

They had this tournament in the mix about 4 years ago and took it out due to lack of participation. Guess why? It was the same structure they have here.

8 Comments to “What’s in a Game?”

1. Karridy

You going to play, Tom?

2. Chantel McNullty

This comment has nothing to do with this article but I know
    you had recent posts on Chantel and I think it would be
    great if you posted an update. By the way 99% of everything
    she says on this interview is fiction. This girl has never
    been a winning poker player. And other than being a poker
    groupie and cheating naive poker players out of money, shes
    never had a bankroll of her own.

3. Garthmeister J.

Yeah, the TD event was confusing to me as well. The only guess I have is they made the buy-in low to attract more people, while allowing those people who have deeper pockets to double buy-in and add-on.

I didn’t say it was a good guess.

I really love Triple Draw, and was hoping they would have an event so I could torture myself by considering playing it, but I’m just not sure about this structure. IMO I’d need to be committing at least 3k if I was taking it seriously.

Donkey Bomber, do you know how many entrants they had 4 years ago? Now that Stars offers it, we may see more people buying in…

In 2003, the $1,500 limit TDL drew 78, with Men Nguyen winning.
    In 2002, the $1,500 limit TDL it drew 88, with John Juanda winning

Kevin…

I thought the same thing, Garth … that they are trying to draw some new players into the game. And perhaps that’s what’s up with the limit/rebuys thing? if dead money is dead money, they want to fill the prize pool any which way, right?

6. Donkey Bomber

Imagine how many people they would draw for the main event if they made it a $1,000 buy-in. Of course, I’m going to play. I just like to complain about stupid stuff like this. If your customers like big buy-ins, then why have a small one? How about if you go to a Cadilac dealership and ask for something like a Kia? I doubt they would have any just to try to get people interested in buying cars.

Fair enough, Tom … but i suspect a lot of honda owners go on to buy acuras … and toyota owners step up to lexus.

but whenever you are messing with a sensible stucture just for the sake of encouraging rebuys … well that’s not a good thing.

8. Neko the Poker Hound

1000 tourney for a 2-7 NL? I would FIND a way to be there. For a limit game, I am not even going to log online to play.