Bad bet

by , May 10, 2007 | 3:19 pm

Has anyone seen this? For those of you who don’t have the INHD channel (which, sadly, doesn’t feature any Robert Wilsonky programming), Antonio Esfandiari and Phil Laak have a new show oh-so-cleverly called I Bet You.

The premise is exactly what you’d expect: They walk around betting thousands of dollars on completely inane bullshit. They bet on how much a shirt costs. They bet on whether a girl they meet on the street is wearing a thong or “regular panties.” They bet on who can be the best bartender and, later, who can get drunk and blow closest to .08 on a breathalyzer. All of which should provide for fun, rollicking scenes complete with plenty of spontaneous comedy. Instead, sitting through the half-hour show is like listening to Jamie Gold—it’s painful, and you don’t really want to do it, but you’re sure it’ll get better eventually so you stick it out. But it doesn’t get better. Trust me.

I’ve heard that Gavin Smith and Joe Sebok have a similarly dreadful show. But I’ll bet you it’s not worse than I Bet You. (That joke, lame as it is, is worlds funnier than anything that happens with Laak and Esfandiari, by the way.)

So here’s some advice for The Unabomber and The Magician: if you’re going to have a show like this, be men about it. Or at least increase the comedy. I once watched Eric Celeste bet Tim Rogers $50 that Tim wouldn’t eat lint out of Eric’s bellybutton (for some reason, Eric always has garbage in his navel). And Tim did it. Now that’s an entertaining bet. What you guys are doing is just a waste of my time.

8 Comments to “Bad bet”

1. Ed

I watched the show online yesterday and loved it.

Maybe I was just waiting to see Jennifer Tilly show up.

Ed

2. Gonz

Ed, tell me it’s not so. The canned comedy, the awkward and unnatural exchanges, the ridiculous bets? You liked all that? Makes me sad.

Dude, Gonz, lowest-common denominator … there are a lot of Eds out there. Very similar to the folks who are trying to petition Gov. Schwarzenegger to pardon Paris Hilton.

The petition said that Hilton “provides hope for young people all over the U.S. and the world” and “provides beauty and excitement” to people’s mundane lives.

I think the same principle is in play.

4. Ed

Ok…I will admit it….I have a great deal of man love for Laak. Something about him reminds me of me. Well minus what seems to be a constant state of drunkenness.

Ed

5. TBR

The bet between Eric and Tim was for $15, not $50. And I watched him eat it. IJS.

6. Gonz

TBR, really? $15 and not $50? I was in the room too, and the only thing I remember was Tim choking it down. It actually makes for a better story that Tim ate it for next to nothing.

7. BenMatlock

Man….Gonz. Check your pulse. That show was hilarious. I’d watch it every week if it were that entertaining. The last clip showing them drunk was icing on the cake.

Gonz, perhaps you like CardPlayer’s vids better than RawVegas? How do you not see the beauty in stupid stuff?