Make that 4

by , Aug 10, 2007 | 5:16 am

robertg.JPGFour what, you ask? Since coming home from the WSOP I have had four of my worst live-action, cash poker sessions in a long time. All have been 40+ BB losses. Sure, I have had losses this big in the past…in fact I expect to have one every once in a while. You can play perfectly and they will happen. I never like them…and its not much fun having them come all within a 10-day stretch.

I came home from the WSOP with the plan of rebuilding the portion of my bankroll that was expended in tournament buy-ins over the past two months. I was counting on the super-juicy $40/$80 and $60/$120 limit hold ’em and mixed games at CA (Casino Arizona) to do the trick. I’m not off to a good start. There is a $1,000 buy-in tournament at CA on August 18, limited to 450 players with a guaranteed $250,000 1st place prize. I am planning on winning, so that just might get me even for the series.

I have always kept perfect records of every session of casino poker I have ever played and whenever I have an especially brutal run, I have found comfort in being able to reflect on the bottom line. As long as I can boot up the spreadsheet and see black ink, I can remind myself that I am a winning player. Individual losses hurt, but it’s one long game.

11 Comments to “Make that 4”

B Robert, welcome back from the muck. Except for that last part, you are clearly Pokerati material.

By the way, I’m listening to the new episode of Beyond the Table — the new one recorded on Day 2 of the main event — and we were talking about you right as I read this. Tom says:

“I just got a text from Robert, and it’s three letters. O-U-T.”

By the way by the way … For those of you who don’t know Robert G, he does apparently know a thing or two about the game, despite his recent losses.

3. donkey

Yep, Robert, you are one hell of a player man, very impressive track record. But somebody gotta say this…what the hell is the deal with the self-reassuring proverbs? The last time you wrote, you said “I am very much a decision oriented poker player…I know that if I continue to make correct decisions at the poker table, the results will follow over the long run.” same thing this time…lol..kinda pathetic bro..you are a good player man, keep it up.

4. Robert Goldfarb

Donkey,

Thank you for your comment. It’s nice to know someone other than Dan is reading my posts. I kept telling myself that if I continued to make good posting decisions, the comments would follow.

5. Jamie D

“I kept telling myself that if I continued to make good posting decisions, the comments would follow.”

That is funny shit!

Whether we’re talking blogging or poker, I’m still a big fan of putting your money in when you’re behind and getting there on the river.

7. donkey

Hey Dan, like that caveman commercial “I got a question…WHAATT??”

yeah, I’m not sure what I was saying there either. I think it had something to do with making “good” decisions.

9. Tom Schneider

Robert, If you keep track of your posts on Pokerati, you will feel good that they are all black ink. However, Dan used a lot of white ink in his comment.

10. Tom Schneider

Nice picture. Lip pursing, interesting.

Ok, I have seen the white … Not sure why it happens on some people’s IE — doesn’t do so on mine — but I think we have temporarily solved the problem. We’ll have to get with The Fat Guy to see if we can do more than a Band-Aid fix.