WPT Legends Day 4 Preview

by , Aug 29, 2007 | 4:23 am

Here are the seating charts for the final two tables in Wednesday afternoon’s Legends main event. Below that are the payouts the players are fighting for. If Tom were a real friend, he would dump chips to his home-game buddy.

Table 13

7 $114,310
8 $91,450
9 $68,590
10-12 $57,155
13-15 $43,440
16-18 $34,295

17 Comments to “WPT Legends Day 4 Preview”

1. The Big Randy

Congrats to the AP. I am going to go ahead and request that both of you make the final table.

2. Robert Goldfarb

Thanks TBR! Tom and I are staying in the same hotel room and we just finished our version of spooning, which we like to call ladling (for obvious reasons)Thought I’d take the time to say hello, thanks, and keep the good mojo coming our way. Also, Tom has made a commitment to post on Pokerati sometime prior to 2012 to cement his place on the Pokerati team.

3. VBDave

Nice work Tom.

I think Peter Feldman, may be right up there with Tom as the top two least covered big players. They’re both in the top 5 and between them were mentioned 7 times in the updates yesterday and I think one or two were in the same update. Maybe they don’t do enough yelling, whining, or pushups to warrant the big attention.

4. Karridy

Is the “VB” for VisualBasic, or something a little more along the lines of TBRandy/(T)BRobert?

5. Robert Goldfarb

Yeah, nice job Tom.

No respect, Robert G … I guess some just don’t realize the effort that goes into choosing your spots to play a dominated hand.

7. Jen

Sending good vibes to Tom and Robert today!

I would drive over to the Bike if I thought I could get any kind of reasonable access to the tables, but I’d spend most of my time standing in the hallway waiting. I’ll save my trip to the Bike for tomorrow’s final table when I can sit in your cheering section. 🙂

What’s the going rate per-vibe these days? And is mojo more like a package deal?

9. Jen

Vibes are free. Mojo can be negotiated.

My physical presence in the cheering section of the audience – donations are welcome. (Just kidding!)

Jen, you are underselling yourself.

11. Ed

So I guess this Tom guy is good?

12. Jen

From the WPT live updates:

Robert Goldfarb just revealed that there was a marked A in play and the card was immediately removed from action.

13. VBDave

VB = Volleyball

For a while I tried to make it professionally in the early 90s.

Just out of curiosity, where does one make it as a professional volleyball player? Is there a certain country where it is hot … or is it like figure skating or skateboarding where there is a means to the money?

***So I guess this Tom guy is good?***

He’s beaten you before, Ed, so that says something, no?

16. Ed

yeah yeah…i want a rematch…i was young…just starting out…::insert excuse here::

17. VBDave

It’s huge in Brazil. Probably 2nd only to soccer. In the late 80s and early 90s, it was a lot easier here in the US. When I was playing, the top 50 guys probably made $40k+ just playing and the top 10 or so were $100k and up. There were no lack of sponsors like Killer Loop, Ray Ban, or Oakley for sunglasses to help offset expenses. There were probably 10 different clothing companies too, most of which aren’t around any more. If you were a regular, there was almost no way you wouldn’t have some kind of sponsorship.

There is no real criteria to “be pro.” Tournaments are usually 32 teams per location in the main draw. Top 24 are awarded by points. The last 8 are awarded through qualifiers the day before. There may be 60 or 70 teams trying to get those 8 spots if it’s a big tournament like Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach. you need to work your way up to get in and pay your dues. I would compare it to the current golf setup. There even used to be a couple of regional tours to play until you could make the “big time.”

It’s obviously pretty big here in Southern Califrnia. I would say the next best play is around Lake Michigan from Milwaukee through Chicago, and up to around Grand Haven, MI. I came from the Midwest tour, but then the tour was on hard financial times. Even now, the top players like you see in the Olympics aren’t making near the money the did 15 years ago. Mostly because it’s so hard to come by significant sponsorships to help offset the financial aspect of the travel and everything.

I think that’s it.