A Separated at Birth We Didn’t See Coming

by , Mar 1, 2008 | 10:35 pm

Orel Hersheiser and Minh Ly:

orel_hersheiser2.jpgminh_ly.jpg

Hersheiser, of course, is proving to be the Gonzaga of the 2008 National Heads-Up Poker Championship. The final 8 tomorrow:

Jonathan Little vs. Chris Ferguson
Gus Hansen vs. Phil Ivey
Andy Bloch vs. Orel Hershisher
Huck Seed vs. David Benyamine

All of the above are guaranteed $75k. The final four make $125k, 2nd place gets $250k, and first is still $500,000.

Just about everyone’s brackets have fallen apart — though Gavin Smith is still throwing around the $2,000 wagers on the outcome of each game, and considering that I have no one left alive in my bracket, I gotta pretty much surrender my $20:

Rank Predictor Score Predicted Final Winner Completed
1 Taylor Larkin – 42 Huck Seed 2/29/2008 2:20pm
2 don essinger – 41 Allen Cunningham 2/29/2008 1:05pm
3 Scott – 38 Daniel Negreanu 2/29/2008 1:20pm
4 champsampson – 29 Ted Forrest 2/29/2008 1:39pm
5 Randy Brown – 24 Phil Hellmuth 2/29/2008 12:12pm
6 Kevin Mathers – 24 Daniel Negreanu 2/29/2008 12:32pm
7 California Jen – 23 Scott Clements 2/29/2008 9:43am
8 dan michalski – 21 Howard Lederer 2/29/2008 3:41am

Taylor, Don, and Scott seem to have quite a battle brewing … though it appears they may have made their picks after it got started? Floor!?!

6 Comments to “A Separated at Birth We Didn’t See Coming”

1. California Jen

I never win bets. Ship it!

2. Lisa

How long will Gonzaga be the word to use in this instance? Wasn’t that seven years ago, or close to it?

We need a new underdog.

Um, TBR?

4. Short-Stacked Shamus

If Hershiser makes the final four, you can refer to him as the George Mason of poker. Start a trend.

5. California Jen

Damn, that’s right. TBR won it. Doh!

Not sure I get the George Mason reference. Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan of the co-father of the Bill of Rights and one of the earliest advocates for slavery abolition … He also kept the Federalists in their place, but what does that have to do with poker?

Oh, wait, they must’ve been a March Madness cinderella story, too?