Harrah’s Says Don’t Believe the Hype

by , Apr 7, 2008 | 12:53 pm

With all of the references to the possible changes to the 2008 WSOP main event final table, I asked Harrah’s for a confirmation, denial, or even a “no comment.”

I received an official statement from a “Harrah’e Entertainment, Inc. spokesperson.”

We have heard those rumors as well but we don’t stoke rumors. If there was news to announce we would certainly share it publicly. We announced the schedule back in December and nothing has changed to it – 55 bracelet events over 47 days from May 30 to July 16.

10 Comments to “Harrah’s Says Don’t Believe the Hype”

1. Ed

Go Jen!

Thanks for helping clean up any crap rumors Dan has helped spread among the poker community.

Sorry, Ed, I got bored so I had to fabricate some stuff out of thin air.

These are not the droids you’re looking for.

3. Poker Shrink

That thin air must be drifting around the Rio because that is where the rumor was when I heard it two months ago.

4. BJ Nemeth

Nice of you to do the leg work (phone work? email work?) for those of us too lazy to do it ourselves. Thanks, Jen!

Their statement sounds like one that is meant to deny it, but wasn’t quite worded strongly enough. I suspect rumors will still fly. As for me, I don’t expect this experiment to happen in 2008, but I’d love to see it for 2009.

If it happens this year, I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

5. California Jen

Just want to say that I saw some of the evidence that sparked the rumors, and it looked very much like Harrah’s would move in that direction.

Personally, I think they were very close and probably couldn’t agree on a few last-minute details and ran out of time to do it this year. The closer the WSOP gets, the less time it gives players to plan for it and deal with it. I’d be willing to bet that the live final table is likely at the 2009 WSOP.

6. olivert

I do know as of two weeks ago, Harrah’s/WSOP was still debating whether to proceed with a live heads-up match in October or November at a time dictated by ESPN.

Whether Harrah’s/WSOP is now acting with more urgency or not at this time, with the possible threat of the loss of future TV rights fee (i.e. from ESPN) and sponsorship fees (i.e. from Miller Brewing), is what inquiring minds really want to know.

Harrah’s/WSOP cannot afford to have the WSOP head in the same direction as the WPT: on the path to irrelevancy a la “Who wants to be a Millionaire” as the median age of WPT TV viewership gains AARP membership eligibility.

7. Fawcett

Jen’s post on pokerworks mentions the prize pool would be put into a no-risk CD.

***wouldn’t there need to be some sort of interest payment for the players? ***

Yes, I’m pretty sure that is somehow in play. These are the small details they may or may not have thought about, but it’s not like they’re looking to rip off the players in this … they’re looking to create more economic opportunities and benefit.

10. olivert

*** wouldn’t there need to be some sort of interest payment for the players? 90 days carry on 20-25 million is a large number. ***

Given how low short term interest rates have fallen, 90 days at 2% annualized interest rate for a no-risk CD or T-Bill would equal 0.5%.

0.5% x $20 million = $100,000, which is still a nice chunk of change. The WSOP will pass the interest along to the players involved.

*** but it’s not like they’re looking to rip off the players in this … they’re looking to create more economic opportunities and benefit.

More importantly, I believe Harrah’s/Caesar’s/WSOP need to do something in order to MAINTAIN the current level of economic opportunities, namely the ESPN TV rights fee and the Miller Brewing sponsorship fee.

The WSOP cannot allow itself to be booted off ESPN and end up on a age 50-and-over TV channel (GSN) that its biggest competitor in the U.S. had gone.