Ever think about making a movie with your poker winnings? Jim did

by , May 6, 2008 | 4:26 pm

My poker pal Jim Killeen first parlayed his poker winnings into a successful chair massage business at the Commerce Casino and now has gone big time and made a movie. Always breaking the mold, Jim’s movie is available to watch for free on YouTube. Tom and I watched it recently on the drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas and both enjoyed it. Angry Julie, not so much. If you happen to watch it, let me know what you think.

9 Comments to “Ever think about making a movie with your poker winnings? Jim did”

1. Ben Matlock

Great movie. Very entertaining. Was this ever released in arthouse theaters or limited run theaters that show documentaries such as The King of Kong, etc? I thought it was funny. I wish there was a little more involvement from Google as far as interviews, but the different personalities were very comical.

Did Google pull some strings to allow him a 96-minute vid on YouTube?

If you pay for a certain type of account, you can have videos of unlimited length.

(Wish there was an edit posts thing here):

There are accounts that can do videos of unlimited length, some appear to be free, as long as you don’t start uploading TV shows and other copyrighted content.

5. Jim Killeen

Youtube allows uploading of up to 1gb if you enter into a partnership agreement, which is what we did. we had to get creative and find the right compression to get under our alloted gb, but we managed.
    Google pulled no strings, and Youtube refused to feature us as a video BECA– USE of our Google connection, wanting to maintain their ‘editorial independance’ and avoid any appearance of parent company influence.
    I didn’t choose to go the theatrical route. I got a lot of press by posting for free, so I think it was the right decision. It raised the visibility of the film in a way that a traditional release couldn’t have. Now to sell some DVD’s….!

Jim,

Watched it last night, great idea and great documentary. Does the DVD have any special bonus features? I didn’t see any mention of it from the website.

7. Kajagugu

Jim, I love it, but I’m sorry to say I’ve seen this before. A few years ago I saw a one man show in NYC called “Are You Dave Gorman”. You can find Dave here: http://www.davegorman.com/ – He’s turned this into a blog and a book and of course, the one man show.

I really like what you did with the film, though. Sounds like a lot of fun.

When did this movie come out? Is it brand new?

9. Kajagugu

DanM, if that question (8) was for me, I don’t think Gorman made a movie out of it. I was talking about the concept. I think Jim’s film is brilliant.