The annual WSOP press conference….zzz

by , Jul 7, 2008 | 2:52 pm

You actually do often hear interesting information at these things, but this year the non-poker knowledgable media kept asking about the delayed final table that has already been discussed ad nauseum by the rest of us. Here’s a random Jeffrey Pollack quote about said decision:

“We wanted to find a way to punch through pop culture more than we already had.”

Pollack added that if the move proves successful he would like to see it continued. No surprise there.

More notes:

• Pollack said he’d like to see the WSOP branch out beyond America and Europe to include incarnations of the tournament series in Asia and Latin America.
  • He expects a similar configuration for the WSOP next year as was in place this year. There could be some events added, and as 2009 is the 40th anniversary of the WSOP Harrah’s brass is planning something special in recognition of the milestone.
  • The annual Poker Hall of Fame inductions will take place on Nov. 10, the same day as the main event final table. Pollack would like to see some sort of shrine created even better than what is in place at Binion’s.
  • DVDs of ESPN telecasts will be made available to any of the “November Nine” who do not live in a country where ESPN is not available so they won’t be at an unfair disadvantage.
  • This year’s WSOP had more than 59,000 participants creating $180 million plus in prize pools. The winner of the main event will get more than $9 million of a $64 million prize pool.

11 Comments to “The annual WSOP press conference….zzz”

1. California Jen

Thanks for typing this up!

You’re right. The discussions about the November nine at the conference are the same ones we’ve been having on the blogs for months. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

2. Bundas

In reply to this

** The annual Poker Hall of Fame inductions will take place on Nov. 10, the same day as the main event final table. Pollack would like to see some sort of shrine created even better than what is in place at Binion’s.*

Being I am in Binions all the Time and some times get some inside info . The New ownership hates that HOF wall they have and there in the middle of a total renovation of the Poker room and that entire area of the casino.. The artist renditions of the New poker Room are standing in the current poker room (Very Nice) now if all goes the way they plan the poker room will be as nice as the mega resorts(Thats what they tell me we will see).
    But along with the millions they plan on spending in the poker room there is also a plan to build an actual HOF that folks can visit and a place that will be a great salute to all the folks that have been inducted and all that will be and somthing they can be proud to be a member of.. (Thats what I have been told)..

I guess we will see!!

3. Jeffrey Pollack

Wow. Was the press conference really that boring?

🙂

Thanks for attending, nonetheless!

Best,

Jeffrey Pollack

4. California Jen

It was boring for those of us who are in the loop with you and the others on a fairly regular basis. And the November nine issues that were brought up were things that bloggers have been discussing for months.

You and Jack weren’t boring! I was just hoping for something new. 🙂

*November Nine*

Nice phrase, Jen!

6. BJ Nemeth

You hadn’t heard that phrase yet, Dan? I heard it in an offhand remark from Seth Palansky, and then introduced it to the blogosphere in early May through a PokerNews article.

You know, I was just re-reading johnny’s post and realizing that the phrase may not have been Jen’s. Still it’s a pretty good one.

Sorry I missed your article in early may. That was a rough time as we were going crazy flipping the switch on the redesign. I probably missed a lot of things those first two weeks of May. My bad.

8. Jeffrey Pollack

Uh…I think we coined the phrase “November Nine” before any one else. Pretty certain of that.

🙂

Think I’m starting to spend more time reading everyone else’s blogs — as opposed to writing my own.

Best,

Jeffrey

9. BJ Nemeth

Jeffrey — I totally credit your team with coining the phrase, “November Nine.” Like I wrote in my comment above, I heard it in an offhand comment from Seth Palansky, and I thought it was *great*. (Referring to both the players *and* the date they return to action.) So I jumped on it, using it in my big PokerNews article and doing my best to spread it through the blogosphere.

But even in that original article (May 6th), I sourced the term to Harrah’s:

I would never claim to have coined the term, but as soon as I heard it, I knew it was a winner. I’ve really enjoyed watching how quickly it has spread throughout the blogs and forums. Yes, I actually enjoy watching etymology in action. 🙂

10. BJ Nemeth

By the way, back on May 5th, if you Googled “November Nine” and “Poker,” I think it returned three results. And all of the combinations of “November nine” were coincidences, with some variation of the phrase, “Back in November, nine friends of mine were playing poker …”

If you Google those same keywords today, you get over 1,000 hits. Not bad for two months.

11. Tuscaloosa Johnny

Come on Jeffrey, admit it. You were just ripping off “Lost” and its “Oceanic Six”…