WSOP Europe to Be Seen by at Least 14 People Worldwide!

Fans of figure skating outraged

by , Feb 1, 2009 | 3:13 pm

Got a press announcement about a week ago:

WORLD SERIES OF POKER EUROPE DEBUTS SUNDAY, FEB. 1 ON ESPN
ESPN’s first ever coverage of the World Series of Poker Europe will begin on Sunday, Feb. 1 with the first four episodes beginning at 6 p.m. ET, followed by an encore presentation of episodes 1 and 2 on ESPN2 at 10 p.m., co-hosted by Lon McEachern and Norman Chad.

I figured, cool … new WSOP events that really I knew nothing about … would be just like old times. They should be able to do a pretty good editing job on this one, too — with way more time than production crews had for the November Nine. But I wasn’t able to put 2+2 together to realize that ESPN decided to debut the WSOP-E up against the Super Bowl! So it’s on right now. Anyone watching?

As they say in Britain … Brilliant!

UPDATE: So what’s up with the Euros laying out the flop one card at a time? That doesn’t seem right, does it?

8 Comments to “WSOP Europe to Be Seen by at Least 14 People Worldwide!”

1. David Alexander

I think it was 4 years ago.. I spent all day watching the WSOP… on super bowl day…. spent like 12 hours that day just watching poker….

Maybe they are pulling from that playbook… for the WSOP-E to capture the guys who will be becoming part of pokerdom and don’t care much about the superbowl..

OK, I hear what you’re sayin’ … I could be wrong on this — maybe it’s a great timeslot?

Will be interesting to see the numbers.

I think it’s tradition in England to deal the flop that way. The rest of the WSOPE broadcasts appear on ESPN2 Sundays from 10p-12a starting tonight, skipping Feb.22. The thing that gets me is the different look of the broadcast. I don’t have an idea how well it’ll do against the Super Bowl, but I think the cable program that will dominate tonight is the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet.

One more thing, ESPN decided to treat Eastgate as the World Champion, even though the WSOPE was completed before the Nov. 9 came back.

Speaking of different looks, couldn’t they have spent more than $500 on the wsopshop.com commercial?

5. shronk

One word: get two TVs.

You mean two Tivos?

Though I didn’t see the wsopshop commercial, I gotta say, I kinda like the old-school camera-work!

(Watching the replay now.)

7. Phyllis Patterson

Actually, I watched the poker. But you’re right, probably not many did.

8. Bob

Not sure about at the casinos but most local poker on TV in the UK has the flop dealt all at once, with the card you don’t want in the window, inevitably.