Next Step for Legal Poker in Texas: Calendars Committee

by , Apr 20, 2009 | 1:27 pm

Selective aggression … that’s the key here. And it’s again time to make a move. This time, we need to hit up the Calendars Committee. What we’re asking for with them is to get a vote on HB 222 and get it soon. I haven’t crafted my letter yet, but will do so today … in a nutshell I’ll be running down the basics in a single sentence — this bill protects citizens, honors personal freedoms, brings back some pride to Texas, and along with it a bunch of money being dumped in Oklahoma. Will also remind them that this bill has the overwhelming support of the people as well as police and prosecutors, who would greatly appreciate a law that is up-to-date with the 21st century.

Will probably end with something reminding them that this is a perfect example of the kind of sensible government legislation that will show our representatives are capable of looking beyond any controversial rhetoric and doing the right thing … and hey, if we get a vote and we’re wrong, we’ll stop with the email barrages. After all, this IS a grass-roots effort by the people, which makes it very different from the big-money casino bills pending … and they should recognize that.

But really — because this is grass roots and we don’t have the money to pay for a lobbyist to be glad-handing in the back hallways on behalf of HB 222 — we need you Texas-loving folks to get to work over the next 24 hours. (We’ll probably call on you two more times over the course of the next month). We need to hit them up and hit them hard … this is where we got to in 2007, and we did convince them to put us on the calendar, but not high up enough to ever get to a vote on the House floor.

Honestly, for the whole process, it hasn’t been more “on us” than it is right now. Here’s the link to the easy-email generator for Texas poker legislation.

Specifically, the people you should be sending this go-round to (with district # in parentheses) are:

Brian McCall (66) – Chair
Eddie Lucio III (38) – Vice-chair

Norma Chavez (76)
Garnet Coleman (147)
Byron Cook (8)
Brandon Creighton (16)
Charlie Geren (99)
Jim Keffer (60)
Lois Kolkhorst (13)
Edmund Kuempel (44)
Jim McReynolds (12)
Allan Ritter (21)
Burt Solomons (65)

8 Comments to “Next Step for Legal Poker in Texas: Calendars Committee”

1. lavigne in austin

Great post. It is all true. Thanks for your support!

2. Cynthia L. Smith

Since I have been involved with Texas Holdem I have developed many friendships and business contacts. It is a fun and exciting card game that I enjoy very much. Although I have to travel out of my state to enjoy this game I will continue to do so. I would like to see our state of Texas get the benefit of this needed revenue!! There will be a over whelming result if this is to happen.

Yes, well said, Cynthia … now be sure to send those exact words to the Calendars Committee. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

And likewise, to you, lavigne in austin … big ups … keep up the good work. you actually have me believing we’re getting somewhere!

4. jeff

Dan, The family that owns the Budweiser distributors in the valley and Corpus recently purchased the shuttered greyhound track in corpus ,they have lot of people working in Austin to get simulcast wagering and poker approved. There is no doubt this is grass roots but there are some pretty powerful behind the scenes players.Great post and great job staying on top of it.

5. iliya bahbah

i agre this thing

6. iliya bahbah

ok, yes, excellent iliya and cynthia.

a little confused … but like the idea of letters to congress auto-posting as comments here.

8. Eric Anthony

It’s hard to believe that you can not play Texas Hold’em in Texas legally. I guess Louisana and Vegas pay off our representitives to vote it down. I wish our reps would rise to the occasion and do something for Texans who likes playing tournaments of Texas Holdem. Hell you can play Bingo & Para Mutual Betting DOG AND HORSE in Texas which is the same damn thing as playing Texas Holdem in Tournaments. So get off your asses and vote for Texas Holdem. You can not stop, it might as well as tax it and make it legal. LOL.