2009 WSOP: Year of the Multiple

by , Jun 29, 2009 | 2:51 am

It really couldn’t be much more clear … this will probably be good evidence for poker as a game of skill:

· Multiple Gold Bracelet Winners at the 2009 WSOP:

Jeffrey Lisandro — 1st, 1st, 1st
Brock Parker — 1st, 1st
Phil Ivey — 1st, 1st
Greg “FBT” Mueller — 1st, 1st (+7th)

· Gold Bracelet Plus 2nd-Place Finishers at the 2009 WSOP:

Ville Wahlbeck — 1st, 2nd (+ 3rd)
James Van Alstyne — 1st, 2nd (+ 6th)
Pete “The Greek” Vilandos — 1st, 2nd
Angel Guillen — 1st, 2nd
Vitaly Lunkin — 1st, 2nd
Brandon Cantu –- 1st, 2nd
Marc Naalden — 1st, 2nd

· Multiple Top-Three Finishers at the 2009 WSOP:

Ville Wahlbeck — 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Eric Baldwin — 1st, 3rd
Steve Sung — 1st, 3rd
Scott Clements — 2nd, 3rd

10 Comments to “2009 WSOP: Year of the Multiple”

1. Johnny Hughes

You are having a multiples summer: cars bombed, royal flushes, and Miami John. And now, Pauly calling you a cooler. You didn’t cause a car to explode, did you?? Tell us more about the car explosion.

2. Johnny Hughes

Your best retort, “How could a cooler hit a royal flush?”

3. BJ Nemeth

At least somebody understood the stats I compiled! (I passed those on to Nolan, because he found them interesting.)

FYI, you should note that Ville Lunkin is listed there twice, because he qualifies as a 1st + 2nd, and also has multiple top-3 finishes (because he also has a third-place finish).

The statistical anomaly here is that with 11 people making the Top-2 two or more times, not a single one of them has two second-place finishes. Based purely on the numbers, 3 2/3 of those 11 people should *not* have bracelets.

BJ, if you were the guy behind these numbers … I found a couple errors!
    😉

(You forgot Eric Baldwin.)

Johnny, have you seen the video and photos yet from the car explosion? I thought about putting them up on Pokerati … still might. Not very pokery, though.

6. BJ Nemeth

Eric Baldwin is properly listed in the third category with a 1st- and a 3rd-place finish. I went out of my way to mention that to Nolan last night, because Baldwin got his third-place finish after I compiled the list that I sent Nolan.

You said a “couple” errors — what are the others?

one … a couple … what’s the difference? actually, baldwin was the only “error” i found … had to add in mueller and marc naalden … but i think that all happened after the initial report.

8. BJ Nemeth

Greg Mueller and Marc Naalden are both properly listed in the right categories in the official email I received from Nolan Dalla last night. Where’d you get your copy of the official report?

same nolan email you get. i’m just running a day or two behind. (i know you understand.)

hey, so did i tell you i saw a guy burned to death yesterday? set me back a few hours. but this probably isn’t the right place for that convo.

10. BJ Nemeth

Okay, this makes sense to me now. The email you were working from probably had all the “errors” you listed. (Though you can’t call it an error for leaving out future final tablists Mueller & Naalden!)

I didn’t think Nolan was going to publish the Top-3 finishers category, which is why I wasn’t concerned with updating that data to include Eric Baldwin. Once I saw that he sent it out, I made sure that Baldwin was added, and he showed up in last night’s official email.