Is the Shootout Bracelet the Easiest to Win?

by , Jun 13, 2009 | 12:35 am

Before I go any further, let me make one thing perfectly clear. I respect everyone who’s made the final table of the $1,500 No-Limit Hold ’em Shootout. It’s a great accomplishment and one I’d be happy to emulate.

That said, my question is, couldn’t this be considered the easiest WSOP bracelet to win? Sure, it’s a tournament that started with 1,000 players, but the winner only has to defeat 26 of them to claim the prize. It’s not the same as a $1,500 donkament where you’re likely to see 1- or 200 different faces on your way to the final table, or even a 10K event where you may face 40 or 50 different opponents as tables break and shift.

This is essentially three sit & gos. Tough? Sure. But compared to other tournaments?

8 Comments to “Is the Shootout Bracelet the Easiest to Win?”

Wait, didn’t you also say shootouts were all luck?

2. Haley

My head is all a’splode now. I’ll be picking up the pieces over the next several days.

Shootouts are really easy, if you’re lucky.

4. KenP

The shorter the table the more need to gamble. I guess if you equate gamble to easy, you nailed it.

Differing skill set.

If you believe it is so easy, hit the 2 player ring tables and then get back to me

5. BJ Nemeth

Statistically, it’s just as hard to win a 1,000-player shootout as a 1,000-player non-shootout. There is still only one winner for the 999 losers, regardless of how many you actually have to sit next to.

If you want to talk about the style of play, like KenP, then you could make some valid arguments. But just talking about the numbers? No, it isn’t any easier.

Ask everyone but Jeff Carris how easy it was to win this event …

Good point, BJ … I imagine some 2nd-place table finishers in the second round feel that way … in that had it not been a shootout, they woulda easily made the final table.

(and from there, of course, it’s anybody’s game.)

(Katkin clearly is a shootout hater.)

8. Poker Shrink

To win a MTT tournament you technically only have to eliminate one player and play one short-handed table. I’m just sayin’