$40k WSOP Event on ESPN

by , Aug 2, 2009 | 11:37 pm

I’m watching it, for the first time. ESPN just did the sidebar piece on Justin Bonomo’s prop bet on one of the 40something players living in Panorama Towers winning a bracelet. (Does anyone know if he won that bet? I’m sure Panorama Towers had at least as many final tables as Denmark.) Greg Raymer just busted out … Norman Chad’s same ole shtick seems fresh, not tired … and the poker itself is good.

I gotta say, like the way the 2009 season is starting … I could see a few people getting hooked during a weekend marathon. Go ESPN. I think my reluctance to give a shit about first airings might say more about an evolving desire to watch TV podcast-style, at one’s own convenience, than it does about non-excitement for what is clearly a great poker show. Well shot, well edited.

MORE: The cutover to the Champions Invitational … with Raymer coming over after busting out in third, to take a seat amongst a bunch of recognizable-to-grandma champions … nice! Seriously, semi-interested in that tourney now. (If only it had more money at stake.)

7 Comments to “$40k WSOP Event on ESPN”

1. 101proof

Greg Mueller, who won two bracelets this summer, is apparently a recent resident of Panorama Towers:

IE, Bonomo won his prop bet.

nice. thanks!

That question has been asked way too many times on 2+2.

4. Poker Shrink

Norman Chad = fresh

Dan you have lost your edge.

5. pinkerton

I haven’t watched the second episode, but I thought the first episode was terrible. I felt like I saw maybe 8 hands, and it was total garbage the way they would return from break ‘in the middle’ of a huge hand.

It sounds like episode 2 must have been better than the first, so maybe I’ll watch it after all, but I just couldn’t get into ESPN’s production.

I watch for the player interaction and table talk, that’s what interests me, there was a tiny bit of that, but the ‘reads’ that weren’t and all that beef jerky talk really made me apprehensive to continue watching.

I much prefered the internet streams…

***I thought the first episode was terrible. I felt like I saw maybe 8 hands, and it was total garbage the way they would return from break ‘in the middle’ of a huge hand.***

A lot of books take 100 pages or so to get going.

7. David Alexander

I like to get the stuff on demand
    these days as well….

ala.. youtube or hulu.com

Don’t even have a tivo..

So, hope these things make it to one
    of those places at some point..