Dance, Shannon, Dance!

by , Feb 19, 2008 | 5:09 pm

Shannon Elizabeth - Courtesy of Eric Scot
Shannon Elizabeth – Courtesy of Eric Scot

When I met with Shannon Elizabeth two weeks ago to do an interview for a Poker Pro Magazine cover story, I was pushing my deadline. She asked if I could wait two weeks to go to press, which I could not, in order to include some news that she just couldn’t tell me yet. I was thinking it was a major role in a film, and I was so wrong.

It was announced on Good Morning America (though I read about it on Wicked Chops) that Shannon will be one of 12 competitors on the new season of Dancing With the Stars on ABC.

The show begins airing on March 17, and there will be new episodes every Monday and Tuesday night thereafter. The other dancers sharing the stage with Shannon are radio host Adam Carolla, actor Cristian de la Fuente, actor Steve Guttenberg, magician Penn Jillette, R&B singer Mario, actress Marlee Matlin, actress Priscilla Presley, tennis star Monica Seles, football star Jason Taylor, actress Marissa Jaret Winokur, and figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi.

Upside? She will get a lot of publicity from this, as – shockingly – it is a very popular show. And guys, she will also be in even better shape, if that’s possible.

Downside? Um, it’s Dancing With the Stars!

Even so, I’ll be setting my DVR to watch Shannon’s progress. I’m ashamed. Go Shannon!

18 Comments to “Dance, Shannon, Dance!”

1. Ed

Jen, does she look as hot in person?

2. California Jen

Ed, yes.

3. Mean Gene

First of all, to say that Shannon Elizabeth is “hot” diminishes her. I’ve seen her in person and, yes, exchanged sentences with her. She is a rather beautiful woman and that alone is worth celebrating. But to me she also seemed both personable and intelligent and, well, kudos to her for that.

BUT. Do NOT say Priscilla Presley is an actress and then cross that word out. Whatever else Ms. Presley is, she is the co-star of the Naked Gun movies, one of the Great Achievements of Western Civilization. She may not be as lovely as Shannon Elizabeth (at least these days), and she may be loopy as a French horn, but I will go to the barricades to defend Priscilla Presley, if only for the tumble she took down the stairs during The Naked Gun. She is most worthy of our respect.

4. California Jen

Gene, I meant no disrespect by saying that Shannon is hot. I did find her to be quite intelligent, well-spoken, and kind. My interview with her went incredibly well, and I left with a newfound respect for her. By letting Ed know that she is hot, it’s meant as nothing but a compliment.

Your views on Priscilla are interesting, maybe even disturbing. I had no idea you felt so strongly about her. Duly noted. ;)

5. Ed

I just wanted to know for a fact that I could never do an interview with her. I would sound like some caveman reporter and would probably be arrested before it ended. Need to fix that problem before I meet Jennifer Tilly some day.

Ed, Tilly has the restraining order against you loaded up on speed dial already.

7. Mean Gene

No no, I didn’t mean that calling Shannon Elizabeth “hot” was demeaning. Actually…reading over what I wrote…it does come across that way. Meant to draw additional comparisons between her and Priscilla and go for the punch line that way. I think that recalling Ms. Presley’s star-turns in The Naked Gun drew my attention away from the point I was trying to make.

8. Mean Gene

I guess I should say that when I dialogged with Ms. Elizabeth it was after she’d did the commentary for Bluff during one of the sequestered final tables. I was in the control room trying to live-blog the thing (which was a waking nightmare) and after it was over I packed up my gear and left the room. I held the door for the person behind me, not knowing it was Shannon. She thanked me and I had to say SOMETHING to her. Both from politeness and because, well, when might I have this chance again? A friend of hers came in 2nd, turns out he went to Pitt, and I mentioned that I was rooting for him because that’s where I’m from. The conversation went on for four, maybe even five sentences, and then we went our separate ways. I’m pleased to say that I didn’t fall down on the floor giggling.

I was standing outside the media room at the Rio, cooling my heels for some reason, when a woman sidled up beside me and whispered in my ear, “Is Phil in there?” I didn’t know it was Jennifer Tilly until I turned my head to see who was doing the cooing. I think that time I did giggle, a bit. My blood pressure and body temperature spiked pretty good too.

9. Ed

Would it be wrong of me to say I hate Mean Gene? yes…yes it would….hate is a strong word I do not like to use. I will come up with a better word later when I have a chance to browse dictionary.com.

10. BJ Nemeth

How come I got to report the play-by-play for the final tables with the non-celebrity commentators? I got to listen to Tom Schneider do his best to make the most out of a very, very weak final table while Mean Gene gets locked in a room with Shannon Elizabeth for several hours — something is not right here!

11. 85nutz

You guys should have tried dealing to Shannon at the WSOP, very hard to concentrate, not to mention she was at the same table as Liz Lieu…one of the many reasons I’m signing up to deal again this year.

12. Mean Gene

Shannon was behind the curtain (more like a rug) in the control room, so she was out of sight, out of mind. What was far more distracting was Lacey Jones sitting right next to me and putting her head down on the table to take a nap. I thought about closing my eyes for a few seconds just so I could say that I’d slept with Lacey Jones and pass a polygraph. But I was too (expletive deleted) busy.

13. building insurance supplemental insurance

Your site has made me smile :-)

14. consolidation debt service

Nice work chief ;-)

I’m a little confused by your spam … and why you would leave it without entering in a URL.

16. Ed

Glad you said something Dan. I too was confused last night and did not know if it should be deleted…or left for whatever secret message it holds.

17. 85nutz

Must be amature spammers, not quite grasping the concept yet.

18. credit cards for poor credit

Man, what a well set-up website!