Self-policing

by , Jun 28, 2006 | 12:38 pm

Woke up this morning to two comments that gave me pause:

Scott Says:
June 28th, 2006 at 11:15 am e

So, “Pokerati had never been to Aces and never knew where they were,” yet Pokerati has no problem stating that ACES is in “a terrible part of town”? I’m still wondering what, precisely, qualifies the area as a “terrible part of town.”

Calling me out on that sorta thing seems totally appropriate … it encourages quality discourse and holds me accountable to what comes out of my mouth/fingers. But this comment:

Name: sld007 | E-mail: sld007@airmail.net | IP: 216.109.168.14 | Date: June 28, 2006

THE COPS ARE MISSING THE BIGGEST GAME IN TOWN…[name deleted] PLACE AT THE CORNER OF [street deleted] AND [deleted] LANE IS HUGE!!! ALL 5-10, 2 TABLES RUNNING NONSTOP, $100,000 ON THE TABLES AT ALL TIMES!!! — USED TO BE CALLED [deleted] …SOUTHWEST CORNER IN THE BACK CORNER!!!

What’s up with that, Sld? While I’m sure the cops would be happy to have whatever information you may want to provide — or maybe unhappy because it would mean more work for them when they thought one bust would be enough — this is not really a forum for tattle-tales. (And thus comment #1 was accepted, and comment #2 was not.)

Sure, some of us may be giving Aces a hard time for some of their loose methods, but what we are doing here is post-hand analysis … hoping to improve future play. In retrospect, there are lots of things lots of us coulda done better or differently. Now, for future reference, we know. But trying to rat out another game (presumably so your game can make more money) … that’s just not cool. It’s dirty, greedy, possibly vindictive, and does nothing for the benefit of Pokerati readers or poker.

(Sld, I think we have played each other before … weren’t you the guy who slow-rolled your aces when I moved all-in with queens at a Mario tourney … and you went into the tank for like two minutes before showing me the nuts?)

If you want to call out some questionable practices, go ahead … we’ll listen and discuss. Dallas poker rooms should have been more careful with minors, alcohol, door security, email, slow-rolling, etc. But as far as I know, the game you mention actually runs itself really well … which probably has a lot to do with why it continues to thrive.

14 Comments to “Self-policing”

1. Woody

Dan – Can’t see the post b/c you presumably removed it, but is there a chance that it was a tongue-in-cheek post about a fictional game and was an attempt at humor by the poster to “misguide” the authorities?

Yes, it was the first comment in Pokerati v. 3.0 history that I chose not to approve. It was not a fictional game, nor fictional directions. I know it relatively well … as do most of the rest of Dallas poker players.

I think Pokerati will be reverting to code names for poker rooms (like we kicked it back in 2004). So we’ll call the room here “John Brown’s” (… which is funny because TBR’s real name is John Brown).

3. sld007

Sorry…just trying to help “John Brown” out.

4. Aces

I am missing something but is someone saying that we ratted out another game or was by someone else.

5. Scott

No, Dan is saying that someone else (sld007) attempted to post a comment that identified the address of another poker room (one that has more money running through it than ACES ever did, apparently)

Go get ’em Aces, I hope you fight it ’til the end

6. Ed

I lived in Irving for 26 years…i know the are well where Aces was located….yes…very nasty place and is one reason I would not frequent the place.

The other reason? The mass emails I got when I NEVER signed up for them. Looked more like a sting operation to me.

Ed

7. sld007

Hey…some asshole at work stole my laptop…I just found out about it …he’s playing a joke on all of us…no one is trying to rat anyone out…it’s all bs…

All is forgiven. Poker on.

9. Phoenix

Damn! SLD007 that was a lame excuse.

10. Scott Chaffin

This should be on the list of reasons, at probably #47 or #48, to Legalize Poker in Texas: idiot poker blog comments.

TFG, your comment could probably apply to about four comments in this thread.

12. Scott Chaffin

So that would be four fewer I have to read through. Never mind the entire post.

… so says the man who convinced me way back when that comments were worthwhile.

14. Willie

Sorry…just trying to help “John Brown” out.

Yup, that’s an ass whoopin’.

PS Funny cause I bruise easily.