Dallas’ Last Man Standing

by , Aug 6, 2006 | 2:15 am

LAS VEGAS–Am left wondering if I shoulda made a side-bet with Mike & Tom on Dallas vs. Ireland. (Actually, I probably coulda wrapped all of Texas into it, too.)

Matt Wilson is 7th in chips right now, with $1.2 million. Alas, I can’t tell you who’s at his table, but be sure to click on the little graph that shows the escalation of his stack size. It suggests he’s playing well … using his comfortable stack judiciously to continue his slow climb. That’s probably the right thing to do (anyone disagree?) as there’s still a lot of poker to be played, and he can afford to play it pretty much on his own terms right now.

UPDATE: Ouch, not sure what went awry … bad beat or bad play … but Matt Wilson is out. 112th place. $51,129.

Tags:

8 Comments to “Dallas’ Last Man Standing”

1. Eric

It might have been a bad beat or bad timing, but I assure anyone reading this it wasn’t bad play. Matt is all heart, and I guarantee that after he crossed that first payline, he wasn’t trying to figure out how to limp his way to the next little increase. He was trying to make his way through 9,000 players, 9 at a time, to win that bracelet.

He made his way through more players in a live poker tournament than any player in Dallas history – for that I’m damn proud of him.

2. DanInDallas

Well said, Eric. Matt has always been the type of player who won’t chop because he knows he’s got the best shot at winning. Whatever the circumstances of his exit, he’s got a remarkable achievement under his belt.

3. The Live Straddle

I concur. He doesn’t know the meaning of chop. IT was either bad beat or him playing to win. Congrats to that little scruffy scrawny f*ck. Matt or anyone who has contact info, drop me a line. livestraddle@gmail.com

Very well said. Excellent point. I think we should have a parade in Dallas upon his return.

5. Intan

Didn’t David Williams go a bit farther??

he “lasted longer” — but didn’t navigate through as large of a field.

7. Eric

We’ll probably skip the parade, opting instead for a night – or nights – of participatory shoulder dances at one of Dallas’ finer roofless joints.

8. matt wilson

thanky you all for your support and positive comments. I hope to be seen somewhere again very soon. (like the USPC at the trump.)