Bankroll Update and Analysis

by , Jul 6, 2006 | 6:18 am

LAS VEGAS–A few people have asked how my own poker is going here at the WSOP. All I can say with certainty is that I’ve misplayed a lot of hands. Having been here less than a week, I’ve played eight sessions:

Red Rock – 1/2 NL
Buy-in(s): $420 (3)
Cash out: $421
Synopsis: When down all night, you rock if you can get away anywhere near even.

Rio – second chance tourney (reg. req.)
B: $225
C: $0
S: Bad chip selection proves costly. Out in level 3.

Rio – single-table satellite
B: $125
C: $0
S: 5th place. Shaking off the rust.

Rio – 2/5 NL
B: $600 (2)
C: $1,473
S: I am smart. S-M-R-T.

Rio – single-table satellite
B: $125
C: $0
S: 3rd place. Old Texas cowboy threatens to beat the crap out of hyper-talky obnoxious guy with his cane. One bad call in the end, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.

Rio – single-table satellite
B: $175
C: $500
S: 2nd place chop. I become dominant chip leader by flopping quads early and playing the 27o with power late. “That’s how you play the hammer!” I shout. But then I get totally outplayed heads-up, and bust out re-raising all-in with the hammer vs. pocket 3s. Oops. (Cursing of all bloggers ensues.)

Rio – single-table satellite
B: $175
C: $0
S: One very bad play early — trying to get clever with 7-8o — leaves me unable to recuperate.

Rio – 2/5 NL
B: $600 (2)
C: $968
S: Very roller-coastery. Get below average cards and play them slightly below average (failing to capitalize on two monsters).

Dan’s WSOP Net: +$917

There was one hand tonight that I’m not sure about … Straddle for 10, limp, limp … I limp, too, with JJ (waiting for strong, macho, tilty-aggressive bull rider from Beaumont, Tex., to raise his straddle. But before that can happen, short stack to my left goes all-in for $100+change. Next short stack goes all-in for $100+bigger change. Straddler Cowboy goes all-in for $210 — I’m convinced the best he’s got is Ace-rag, or maybe Ace-rag-suited, and presumably one or two of the other aces are gone … so I’m ready to call.

But before I can do that, solid player to my right — with like $1,400 in front of him — thinks out loud. Short stacks have already showed each other their cards, obvious that they each have an ace with a decent kicker. Big stack reluctantly calls, and thus, with about $500 in front of me and figuring a call here means all-in on the flop … I fold.

Right move? JJ woulda held up against AQ, AJ, KQ, and unknown, shipping me close to $900 more.

8 Comments to “Bankroll Update and Analysis”

1. Special K

Great work. See you in VEGAS!

2. Garthmeister J.

Urgh – that’s why I hate Jacks. In that spot you know that you are dead to any A, K or (probably) Q… you’re just not sure if there are many left in the deck, or if the Big Stack has QQ and is just reluctant to call with them.

Any mate, hope to see you in Vegas this weekend (I get in tonight). Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

3. MrGoss

Right move. Too much fishy action with (four was it?) that many all-ins ahead of you. You have to figure at least one of them has bigger pocket pair.

With action like that going on, you should end the trip with at least $5K net profit in your pocket. Good luck.

MG

4. Uncle Ray

Good fold! At that point you were not playing the all-ins. You were up against the big stack. The $210 it would take to call only let you see a flop. An Ace, King or Queen would make you think you were behind, and small cards with a bet by the big stack could mean a set. Would you be willing to risk your last $300 against 4 players on a hand where there is a good chance you are behind?

Then again, that might be the conservative approach. But at that point you could not scare out the big stack by going over the top.

5. Evil Omaha

Wooo Hooo well done! Maybe you can give me a quick couple of lessons when I get in tomorrow night?

We are hoping to go to Scores late Friday after I play (win a crap load of $?) in a chicks only tourney, call me if you want to hook up and join us.

6. whatever

All those losses at the tourneys, that I can believe. As for all your cashes, uhuh…umm. yeah…seriously doubt you are up. No bad beats? I bet ur hiding all those losses…haha..you suck!

Mom, that’s not very nice to say.

8. IBW

Sounds more like Lori than your mother.