Clonie’s Big Score / Second Chance

by , Jul 9, 2008 | 10:17 am

Michael Binger said she was due … and sure enough, Clonie Gowen got it good — not at the WSOP, but across I-15 at the Bellagio Cup IV, in a $5,000 NLH event that drew 235 runners.

Kinda like a high-stakes second-chance tourney for early main-event busters and pros callously accused of being in a drug-addled downward spiral. Her payday for winning: $437,775

Awesome. Congrats, Clonie! I knew you had it in you, regardless of your status with Full Tilt … Seriously, we should be like best friends again and hang out all the time.

11 Comments to “Clonie’s Big Score / Second Chance”

1. capit

Congrats Clonie! P.S. She is still in the main event too. She was able to capture this sweet payday in between day 1 and day 2 of the main event.

I didn’t even realize that. So wow, talk about freerollin’!

3. BJ Nemeth

Clonie is out. 🙁

8-8 < 10-10

4. Ed

She was freerollin’ after the “top two” hand early on when she doubled up or broke a guy (not sure who had more chips at the time). Flop comes A45 and she puts the guy on 45…thinks she has A5…smooth calls him on flop and then calls his push on turn. Says top 2 and shows…oops. Was right on her read I believe…but she had A3. 3 on river and she is saved!

5. IttyBittyWussy

Dan, did you just call someone else drug-addled?

IBW, good to see you again! I figured you quit poker after one two many beatings in Luxor 1/3.

Just to be clear, I was not saying Clonie is on drugs … I was mocking those 2+2ers who claim she is without a clue whether she is or isn’t. For what it’s worth, I can say with absolute certainty she isn’t on crack/heroin/meth … and she never once has asked me for weed or to go into a bathroom together so we can throw up.

7. ItsOverJonny

I wonder how much of that score she had to pay in make-up to backers? She’s been playing regularly for 4-5 years with very little success. Just sayin’.

I hear ya, and I hear a lot of others say similar things. And in a way, that’s kinda my point about how big of a win this was. It’s good to see her win a tournament that has more than six people in it.

9. RPaul

i know what you are saying Dan and agree. more than 6 people but less than 250, right. she gets lucky sometimes. give up time with your kids to play poker day in and out for that many years, guess a few lucky bounces will come your way. as someone said it all went to backers for sure. we saw her at the B Cup and there were just a lot of lucky hands that fell her way. still not convinced she has any legitimate skill. first ft in how many years?

***i know what you are saying Dan and agree…. still not convinced she has any legitimate skill.***

Dude, don’t go puttin’words in my mouth.

11. IttyBittyWussy

LOL Dan, that night at the Luxor was the last time I played a hand of poker and that was what, a year ago? Missing it terribly, but this new “work” thing is killing me.