How Much Is a Young Scandi at the Final Table Really Worth?

by , Jul 18, 2008 | 4:36 am

Some numbers coming in over the Batpod … about deals surrounding the November Nine as they made their way to the main event final table:

According to super-duper-secret well-connected, highly reliable inside sources some guy in Colorado, Peter Eastgate, the 22-year-old from Odense, Denmark, currently sitting 4th in chips was originally a Ladbrokes qualifier. Upon his making the final 72, Ladbrokes offered him $1 million to patch up. Full Tilt then came over the top with $1.75 million, and in the end, PokerStars took it down for $2 million.

(NOTE: What I’m not sure of are any “contingencies” in these deals — whether that’s $X million up front even if you finish 71st, or $Ythousand right now, and $Z million if you make the final table.)

10 Comments to “How Much Is a Young Scandi at the Final Table Really Worth?”

1. olivert

I don’t buy the story one bit.

I suspected someone made up some numbers somewhere to stir up a bidding war that didn’t exist.

Peter Eastgate is NOT worth $1.75 million to the likes of F—T—P—-.net

I dunno, Oliver, I trust my source pretty good on this. I know what you’re saying about FTP not wanting to do business with Russia, but that may not mean they still don’t want to see their logos anywhere possible on that final table.

PokerStars has been known to get itself in a bidding war before. They certainly don’t like to lose out for a lack of spending.

I don’t see why Oliver bans himself from typing out FullTiltPoker.net

I think it’s the same thing as Jews not typing out Y-hweh.

BTW, Oliver, you are the one who gave me the numbers that made this info (from a 100 percent reliable source so far in our dealings) jibe in my mind.

Costs $15k for 30 seconds to run six times, right? So why wouldn’t Stars or Full Tilt pay just about anyone $2 million for a good 10-20 minutes of airtime on a show that should be hotly watched semi-live, and then repeat itself on reruns throughout the world?

Not saying it is a good investment … just saying it doesn’t seem that odd that they would pay it. And even if FTP doesn’t like doing business with Russians, that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t want Russian players’ rakes. Where am I going wrong?

6. olivert

Again, I am writing this from Bellingham Airport in Northern Washington State, 24 hours after I arrived, waiting for a late flight out of here.

There is no mystery in which city in North America I spent during the past 24 hours, with some of those hours spent on business.

I know enough to know that someone cooked up a story in order to create a bidding war for Peter Eastgate (who is British even though he lives in Odense, Denmark).

In my opinion, the bidding war for Eastgate (and for Ivan Demidov, Gert Andersen, etc.) wouldn’t have existed if P—-S—-.net actually had a company rep on the ground to police what went on.

F—T—P—-.net was NOT going after European players in 2008.

I had my marching orders from F—T—P—-.net to target poker personalities for a particular region in the world in 2008, and that region was NOT Europe.

(Hint: I flew in one of my headline clients, “la voz de la Serie Mundial de Poker desde 2004”, to Vegas from the east coast so that she can accept her “amiga de F—T—P—-.net” deal last Sunday and observe the WSOP Main Event on Sunday and Monday.)

In fact, Philip Hilm’s proposed deal with F—T—P—-.net starting September 1, which has been on the table since December, was rescinded a few days ago.

Oliver … you clearly need a Twitter account.

Interesting stuff though. And though I stand by my rumor, you might be on to something. I also know a thing or two about Philip Hilm, btw … he was a PartyPoker player last year until he accepted an offer that was out of Party’s price range. I think they had him in some capacity contractually, but as is always the case with unregulated online poker companies, who do you sue, and where do you sue them?

8. California Jen

P—S—

F—T—P—

I love the secret code. I doubt many people can crack it. I feel so “in the know.”

9. olivert

Back to Philip Hilm: I was the one who did the deal for Philip with FullTiltPoker.net at the 2007 WSOP on a Saturday night right after dinner break, at the time with about 60 players left in the field.

Philip told me that he had no contractual obligations at the time we did the deal.

When Tim Lavalli (Pokerblog.com, which is owned by PartyGaming) told me that Philip was contractually tied to PartyPoker.net and I brought that up to Philip 2 hours after we did the deal with FullTiltPoker.net, Philip told me he bought a seat from a friend who qualified on PartyPoker.net.

To this date, PartyGaming has NOT furnished me with one piece of physical evidence to document that Philip had qualified on PartyPoker, despite my numerous attempts to contact PartyGaming spokesperson Warren Lush, who is one of Tim Lavalli’s bosses.

At this point, I consider the Philip Hilm incident at 2007 with PartyPoker to be ancient history. Since Philip is no longer an active client of mine (after FullTiltPoker.net rescinded its offer to Philip just as Philip was to board a plane from Vegas to London on July 16), I am not devoting any bandwidth to the incident unless Warren Lush were to contact me within the next 12 months with physical evidence to convince me that Philip had not told the truth to me in 2007.

I am moving on, as I am not taking any European or North American clients for the next 12 months.

Of the 3 active headline clients I currently have, I consider “la voz de la SMDP desde 2004” to be the most crucial to my business in the next 12 months as I position her to be “la primera ambasadora de poquer” in the mold of Linda Johnson: a classy, elegant first lady of poker who will work tirelessly to communicate the game of poker to the youth of Spanish-speaking Latin America,.

10. Rakeback

So it’s Latin-America that FTP views as the market with the best potential right now huh?