PokerStars sponsoring High Stakes Poker/Dennis Phillips invited to play

by , Oct 14, 2009 | 7:08 am

On Dennis Phillips’ radio show on Tuesday, he broke the news that he was one of the first players invited to play on season 6 of High Stakes Poker. It was also revealed that PokerStars will be sponsoring the show, which could escalate the Vanessa Rousso co-hosting High Stakes Poker rumors At Fullcontactpoker.com, Daniel Negreanu mentions that Gabe Kaplan will handle the analysis/commentary solo, and the new addition to the crew will be someone that everyone knows and likes.

Audio of the announcement with Dennis, host Paul Harris and poker coach Joe McGowan:

[audio:https://pokerati.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/phillips-on-hsp.mp3]

13 Comments to “PokerStars sponsoring High Stakes Poker/Dennis Phillips invited to play”

1. Fifth Street Journal

Re Rousso: on the other hand, a Poker PROductions representative has said the new cohost won’t be her.

2. Pauly

I have no idea, but he must have a really good deal with Stars.

I heard a rumor — total rumor, zero hint of confirmation — that the possible Benza replacement is Vanessa Selbst.

Served as a reminder to me that we sure were spending a lot of time talking about Vanessa Rousso with very little to go on.

Sure, circumstantial evidence and possibility is enough to sentence someone to death in Texas, but beyond that …

***Is Stars staking Phillips in the HSP cash games? Those sharks are gonna eat him alive.***

Dennis Phillips didn’t win the 2008 WSOP? Are you sure?

6. Brian G.

Vanessa Selbst? That would be surprising if they put that bulldyke on the show.

Vanessa states she’s not hosting HSP.

8. Poker Girl

Please, please take Dennis Phillips off my TV.

9. JW

Shana Hiatt???? Please Please Please!!!!!

10. S77

“Dennis Phillips is a scumbag behind the scenes and everyone knows it. He is so full of crap I am beyond sick of him.”

I’ve not heard this before. I thought he had a pretty solid rep as a “good guy.” Please enlighten…

Thanks.

11. BJ Nemeth

I’ve had a lot of contact with Dennis Phillips, and I haven’t seen *anything* that made me think “scumbag.” I have close friends who interact with him more than I do, and they are also very complimentary about him.

Those were my thoughts before this year’s WSOP, but during the summer he went out of his way (and out of his own pocket) to sponsor food and drinks for the WSOP’s Dream Team Media event. Pizza, wings, and an open bar, courtesy of Mr. Phillips. And he wasn’t walking around shaking hands and trying to network — he was just saying thank you and having a good time. (For the record, I doubt most of the people in the tournament had any idea that he paid for the food and the drinks.)

I can’t speak to Brian G.’s experience, but I’ll go on record with my real name to say that Dennis Phillips deserves his reputation as a good guy.

12. S77

Thanks, B.J. I appreciate the post, which is consistent with what I’ve heard/read. I do wish that the original poster would reply though…

13. DW Nolan

I have played poker with Dennis at Harrah’s StL. He is a very nice guy.

He also is a very intense player who concentrates very hard. He is not a guy you can engage in conversation very easilyy to get him off his concentration. He studies his opponents all the time he is sitting at the table. He played cash games for years before he switched to tournaments. I’m sure he’ll do just fine but, you never know – it’s poker.