Go Faroe Islands!
Hungry Hungary Poker

by , Jun 17, 2008 | 12:56 am

If you haven’t taken a look already, one of our fun new toys we’re playing with at the 2008 WSOP is a high-technology, nuclear-powered database of all money-finishers broken down by state and/or country. Check it out! We’ll be updating it near-daily.

But full disclosure — while the numbers of bracelets, final tableists, and in the money finishes are guaranteed at least as accurate as the info provided to us by Harrah’s (I pick up on a few mistakes here and there and throw in some corrections) our numbers showing total money awarded come with a margin of error of 0.3 percent. Sorry about that … we’re new here.

And after one day of making our intense number crunches public, at least one asshole concerned reader has approached me to suggest that ranking nation-states by GNP may not be a fair assessment of who’s really winning the good fight. Suggested we have more of an Olympic medal count kinda thing where bracelets are like golds, final tables like silvers, and ITM’s as respectable bronzes.

Well guess what … we can do both! So if you did take a look yesterday, take a look again today (and tomorrow, and the next day …) to keep track of where arguably the best poker players in the WSOP hail from.

ALT HED: Texas is Better than Delaware!

8 Comments to “Go Faroe Islands!
Hungry Hungary Poker”

1. UK Poker Player

I had no idea you could do that! High-technology, nuclear-powered database of all money-finishers… craaazy. Thanks for the tech update, will check it out! Hope all is well at the WSOP!

2. brian

Hi,

I’ve been reading your site for a while, and I like it quite a lot.
    I like the chart too, but I’m from Hungary and I’m afraid our results are not correct.

Richard Toth has won $17.209 and Samuel Hapak has earned $2729. I don’t know about any other hungarian winnings, but there might be more.

(We are a small country with small results, but we are proud of them :)) )

Thanks for letting us know, Brian. Can you tell me which events Richard Toth scored in? If so, either checking our facts or making a correction will be relatively easy.

According to what I know about Hungarian poker players, both Richard Toth and Samuel Hapak cashed for $2,729 in Event #6 ($1,500 Omaha Hi-Lo) by finishing in 74th and 75th place.

Richard also apparently won $14,480 by finishing 40th in Event #2 ($1,500 NLH). (Nice job, Toth-man!) That’s where we get our total of $19,938 for Hungary …

Oops! Wow! I see what you mean. Somehow the above number translated to about $8k in the way it showed up on the page. Definitely a mistake on our end. We’ll have it figured out by the end of the day, and corrected next time we update the standings with two more events.

Please tell Hungarians not to stop winning just because we got the numbers slightly off.

(And kinda funny how that .3 percent overall error can translate into a 120 percent mistake for a whole country!)

In the meantime, please enjoy our revised hedline as a temporary make-good.

5. brian

Thanks for the fast reaction.

No prob. Remember, Pokerati is always here for you except when we’re somewhere else.

The data has been corrected and Hungary has been given its proper place above Hawaii and Wyoming.

BTW … wsop.hu … nice domain name! I suspect someone from the WSOP will be in touch with you within the next couple years.

7. donkey

Everytime I look at a final table at this year’s WSOP, I can’t help but see Vietnamese players consistently cashing and making final tables. Today, in event #29, final table, John Razor Phan and Thuyen Doan are going for a bracelet. Meanwhile, in Event #30, Tommy Hang and JC Tran are in that final table as well. Kenny Tran just won a bracelet a couple of days ago, while Theo Tran had multiple cashes and came close to the bracelet a couple of times. It’s not like Vietnamese poker players outnumber other countries. There may be 5% Vietnamese players playing in the WSOP, but the percentage who cashes is very high. I think pound for pound, Vietnamese/Asian poker players are the best in the world.

You know, funny you mention that, donkey. Because in creating this, a WSOP dude and I chatted about that exact concept.

While neither of us were too hot on the idea of a genetic breakdown — gookers, roundeyes, hicks, blackies, euros, jews, midgets, east riverers, et al — we all agreed that we would LOVE to see a little more demographic/statistical info in the future.

Even Texans … Doyle’s a Texan, yet he is listed as a Nevadan, since that’s where his home is at present. And guys like Tony G mess things up by sometimes listing his home as Australia, and sometimes Lithuania.

So with all that said, I’d love to see one more category on the official player data — “Original hometown” or “place of origin” or something like that.

Because absolutely I am curious to know how the Vietnamese (many of whom live in California) do against, say, the Scandis (many of whom live in Scandenavia) … or how ALL Texans — including the expats such as Doyle, David Williams, Rodeen Talebi — stand against the Asian/Californians. We hear a lot about Phil Laak vs. Antonio Esfandiari, but do we really have solid data on Irish vs. Iranian? Just think how this stat would look for the Lebanese in recent years — with Sammy Farha (Texas) getting second in the main event, and Joe Hachem (Australia) winning one … who knew the Lebanese were so dominant?

Something for ’09 maybe? We’ll see.

P.S. I agree with you that Asians are good at poker. I might concede that they are pound-for-pound the best players in the world.