I’m about to Be Listening to …

by , Nov 13, 2008 | 5:36 pm

Keep Floppin’ Aces, on RoundersRadio. Lou Krieger’s guest will be none other than my own podcast co-homie, Dr. P. He tells me:

Our topics will be the WSOP final table and November Nine in Las Vegas and if we have time, we’ll chat about my experiences in London and Budapest.

There’s also a call in number if you want to ask any questions…. 810-496-3428.

Usually I don’t listen to these things live — I generally let Shamus direct me to the best episodes and download the podcast. But I happen to be in front of the computer right now, and the Chicago-Columbus MLS Cup playoff game is plenty exciting with just the video, little sound. (Currently 1-0 Chicago in the 40th minute; great uniform match-up, too — bright red vs. bright yellow.)

If you are seeing this after the fact, you’ll be able to find the full episode for your podcast pleasure here a couple days from now.

UPDATE: Chicago 1 – 2 Columbus in stoppage time. Great game — so many beautiful shots and tackles — but doh!

24 Comments to “I’m about to Be Listening to …”

Since it just got mentioned, the song the Danish contingent were signing (the ooba ooba thing) is a variation on this song, originally done in 1965):

Don’t Ha Ha by Casey Jones and the Governors

By the way, congrats to Lou for repeatedly stepping over Pauly when he tries to make a point.

Looks like I get to live-comment the show.

Lou somehow thinks you can edit the WSOP final table as fast as you can the Tour de France when they boil it down to the 2 hour show after airing half of a stage race earlier that day.

Dude, I’m not gonna diss Lou. I’ve loved his show since the beginning, and it almost always gets better.

Pauly is a shit podcaster. (JK, DP)

UPDATE: Kinda funny to hear a caller say, “hey, I gotta go” and try to get off the line, instead of stay on it. LOL!

Kevin … cranky cranky today! OK, I’ll be good cop, you can be bad. 🙂

Lou’s voice is just too relaxing.

And I agreed about the post Lou made about how the Nov. 9 were let down by Harrah’s/ESPN.

Intelligent commentary now about the Beijing Olympics and Election (by Pauly) prompted by Lou, who clearly saw something a month ago that I did not.

I like how Darus Suharto is the November Nine whipping boy as to the mostly anonymous nature of the final table. And as Pauly and others have said, if a well-known pro (or an attractive female) made the final table, there’d be more talk out there.

Hold on, let me get my notepad out so I can write down all of Pauly’s self-referential blogroll!

Looking at the RoundersRadio page, Pauly’s not just an insider, he’s an uber-insider. Pauly does make great points regarding the Olympics/election, it doesn’t seem Harrah’s and co. did as much thinking about it. Also, the planned endorsements everyone was supposed to get came up quite a bit short, unless you count the sponsorships that the WSOP already had along with the requisite online poker sites. Well done to the Columbus Crew for their win.

Columbus won … but doh! I wanna listen to the post-game analysis.

Can’t turn though … I’m too hooked on KFA and the remote is out of reach where I’m currently sitting.

***Didn’t Pauly forget to mention Tao of Pokerati, that should definitely have been included.***

What-an-asshole-ever … we’re more underground!

I think they’re a little off on the tax discourse. If he’s got a UK passport, the British government pays your tax.

You could have asked Lou that question 5 years ago, and I don’t think he’d have considered a Dane playing a Russian for the world championship of poker.

The US doesn’t take any taxes from Danish citizens for gambling winnings. Russ mentioned in his blog (www.taxabletalk.com) assumed that Eastgate would have lost nearly 75% of his win if he stayed in Odense.

They don’t quite get it … whatever tax is due, the British government pays, believing that it’s still in their interest to have the money brought across the pond.

England takes no tax for gambling winnings.

Could the Danish gov “make it up” to him — via making him some sort of national marketing figure — if he were to stay in Denmark?

Remember when Hachem won in 2005, Australia was threatening to take a substantial portion of his win, but it was decided that it was a hobby at the time of his win, meaning that it was tax-free in Australia.

Funny … the soccer game is over, and the show it ran into (on ESPN2, I think) … the WSOP final table. I wonder how many other soccer fans just didn’t change the channel and are now theoretically getting sucked in what was “plausibly live” just a few days ago.

Considering that Denmark imposes a huge tax rate on all its citizens, not likely.

Lon just said Dennis Phillips did 200 interviews leading up to the Final Table.

As much as I’d love to, I’m not live-commenting the final table. If Dennis, or anyone else at the final table won without the delay, they would not have had 200 interviews in the following 120 days.

24. Karridy

….Okay… I was wondering how this post had 23 comments. Now I see.