PPA Statement on Poker Site Shutdown

by , Apr 15, 2011 | 2:02 pm

PPA Comments on Federal Action Against Online Poker Companies
WASHINGTON, DC. (April 15, 2011) – Former Senator Alfonse D’Amato, Chairman of the Poker Players Alliance (PPA), the leading poker grassroots advocacy group with more than one million members nationwide, issued the comment below on today’s announcement on federal action taken against online poker companies.

“On behalf of the millions of poker players across the country, we are shocked at the action taken by the U.S. Department of Justice today against online poker companies and will continue to fight for Americans’ right to participate in the game they enjoy. Online poker is not a crime and should not be treated as such. We are currently gathering all of the information around today’s announcement and will offer detailed analysis when the full facts become available.”

14 Comments to “PPA Statement on Poker Site Shutdown”

1. Benjamin Moots

The federal officials in the US are a joke. This is complete bravo sierra. They need to arrest the a55 clowns running the District of Corruption and leave poker alone.
    Liberal poo eaters are taxing us to death and destroying our freedoms.
    They can all go to hell!

2. Dennis

America:Land of the free home of the oppressed should be our new motto.

3. Doolally

Not being located in the US myself, I find it incredible that US citizens have to put up with, what is effectively, a dictatorship when it comes to online gaming.

Tax and regulation should be part and parcel of what is required by the US Government to control online poker.

In reality, it’s them that’s behind the times and not fully appreciating that their voters want to be able to do as they please within reason.

Far worse things are going on in this World that they would be better served investigating.

4. Obummer

This is what Obama meant by hope and change. Hope it’s working out for you.

5. TowGunner1

“Liberal poo eaters”.. this was part of a bill passed in 2006.. if I remember correctly that would be the conservative poo eaters. In fact this bill was a part of the tax cut bill, under a conservative morality clause..

6. jim

I love how the poster above blames liberals when it is primarily conservatives who are against legalizing online poker. Barney Frank and Harry Reid are your two biggest friends on this issue.

7. Terry Sledd

It’s all about taxes, taxes, taxes. Sure, many of these “off shore” poker sites got into the internet gaming scene first and therefore drew U.S. poker player to them. Now the goverment, through the DOJ, is weilding the only power they have against them. It’s a sad day to call yourself an American

8. Justin M.

I agree with everyone’s statements that the DoJ is really going too far. However, what I think we all fail to notice is that CIE(Ceasars Interactive Entertainment), the owners for the WSOP or the WPT, nor the owners of Pure Play and Zynga have made a statement in relation to this “lock out”. I don’t think it is truly 100% the DoJ that is attacking PS, FTP, AP and UB but the catered money to capital hill from these larger US based companies. This is the second step in getting majority marketshares of US players. The first was CIE announcing it’s backing of internet gambling and applying for or showing interest in licensing for an online gaming site. This being the second. Third being total US player blackout and bankrupting these entities and than moving forward with their own agendas.

The funny thing is we as media consuming junkies have it, we only read one article at a time without seeing the whole picture. Just look at the history of what is setting off this chain of events.

I am sorry to say that I believe that there is going to be a new bread of online gaming sites. And what a perfect way for CIE to launch it’s new online gaming site than with a HUGE promotion for players to qualify for a seat to the WSOP ME through their OWN gaming site. Just my thoughts.

9. bluffsport

As a result, we see a lot more “Canadians” than usual at the tables. One of the best known proxies for online poker is located in Montreal…

10. Dan Michalski

what do you mean by proxies?

11. Scott

I’ve been looking at VPNs and proxies. The main question I have is, my address for my current account is in the USA. How do I get my money?

12. Anonymous

it’s gone … if not forever, for quite a while, imho. but you couldn’t have had that much on there, lol.

13. Scott

What’s an LOL to you might be a significant sum to me.

14. Scott