Quick Quiz: How Many November Nine Names Do You Know?

by , Nov 8, 2008 | 3:13 am

My bet is Sarah Palin knows 0. Barack Obama … less clear — he plays poker, sure, but he’s been pretty busy since July, so I think the good money for him would also be 0 … maybe 1 accidentally, so let’s set the over/under for him at 1/2. (I’ll take the under.)

How many do I know — as someone who reads tons about poker, spends my whole day somehow connected to it, thinking about it, playing it, yadda yadda, with tons of emails clogging my inbox with profiles of each of these guys?

OK, maybe 6.5 … I was working on something else, looking up some data on each of the remaining WSOP main event players, and I had to write down each of their names. Six came easy … and one other I was pretty sure of, but I had no clue if I was pronouncing and spelling it right. (Turns out I was off by only one letter.)

So really, try it. Don’t cheat — the info is out there everywhere if you look, but do you know it off the top of your head? It’s been four months.

Next Quiz: How many 3rd place finishers can you name (again, WSOP main event, off the top of your head) since 2003? I got a solid 1 on that one.

8 Comments to “Quick Quiz: How Many November Nine Names Do You Know?”

I struggle at times with the Nov. 9, usually forgetting Eastgate and Schwartz.

As I read the article, I was able to come up with all 5 since 2003, but it did take some thought.

2. Johnny Hughes

There is only one Texan, therefore I only know one name, Craig Marquis. His Dad has an interesting story too and is also named Craig Marquis. I will cheer hard for the Texan. If he is knocked out, I’ll check it out again next year.

Yeah, I forgot Peter Eastgate and Scott Montgomery. Also was thinking Darius Suharto (it’s Darus) … but wasn’t sure if that name I was thinking of was a November Nine player or just for some reason the former president of Indonesia was on my mind.

Tex Barch in ’05 was the third-place finisher I could remember quickly.

You couldn’t remember Harrington, Arieh, Binger, or Kravchenko?

Well when you say ’em like that, it makes ’em sound easy!

I was thinking Binger got 2nd — I know it was Wasicka, now — and Harrington I thought got either 3rd or 5th.

BREAKING NEWS: Mathers is Wrong!!!

Kravchenko got 4th place last year. Raymond Rahme was 3rd.

Oops, it must be my efforts to get Raymond Rahme out of my memory have been successful.

That’s OK, Kev. You are allowed up to three mistakes a year. This still leaves you with one to go for 2008.